This sweet, crunchy, nutty figgy bread is extra delicious and you won't believe how easy it is to make. I would say the best part of this recipe is the no rise element but the bread tastes so good, I would be willing to wait hours for it to rise. Fortunately, that's not the case.
In addition to the figs, this bread is packed with three different types of nuts and raisins. Everything is soaked in dark rum before adding to the batter. It's a flavorpalooza I tell ya.
I ate my pieces(s) warm out of the oven. They were heavenly. If you want, you can smear a bit of cream cheese on a slice but the bread needs nothing to accentuate its flavor.
This is terrific breakfast or brunch bread. I would also recommend it as a host/hostess gift. You'll definitely get asked back.
Bake time: 50 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices)Ingredients:
- 1+1/4 cups dried chopped figs
- 1+1/2 cups raw chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup raw chopped hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/1 cup (1stick) melted unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the chopped figs, walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds and raisin in a bowl. Add the dark rum and toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, ground cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat the eggs and brown sugar together until foamy.
- Slowly add the melted butter.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and the fig nut mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- When everything is thoroughly combined, form the mixture into a loaf and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Cover the loaf with aluminum foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let cool slightly, slice and serve warm.
Short on time? Try this other delicious no rise bread:
|No Rise Oatmeal Yogurt Bread|