I hate to go all ho hum hummus on you again with my third hummus recipe posting in as many months. However, this one was so amazing I just had to share.
Pecan Pesto hummus sounds fancy but was actually improvised out of desperation. All set to make my roasted butternut squash hummus as an appetizer for a dinner party, I realized too late the main dish I planned had pumpkin in it. The Mad Hausfrau is many things but she does not like to be a boring menu designer. When scanning fridge for another appetizer inspiration I spied a tub of pecan pesto made a few days before to use up a huge shaft of basil leaves. So I went back to the hummus idea throwing in the pecan pesto and it was divine.
Pesto made with pecans can be a little bitter. I mitigated that with a little agave syrup and it worked like a charm. This is a seriously impressive fancy hummus with wonderful flavor. I recommend making a big batch of the pesto, using some to make hummus and the rest to put on pasta as the pesto itself is incredible.
Trader Joe's was out of their usual mini pitas I prefer to serve with hummus so I was stuck with the big ones, planning to cut them into strips and toast. Then I got the idea to haul out some cookie cutters and leaf those big unwieldy pitas in the dust.
Pecan Pesto Hummus with Leaf Shaped Pitas
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 heaping half cup of pecan pesto (recipe follows)
- 1 package of wh0le wheat pita bread
- Leaf shaped cookie cutters
- Rinse and drain chickpeas.
- Roll them slightly between your fingers to remove the outer skin.
- Place chickpeas and the rest of the ingredients into a food processer and blend everything together on high until creamy.
- Scrape into a serving bowl, cover with lastic wrap and set aside.
- Lay pita breads out on the counter and go to town with your leaf cutters.
- Arrange around pecan pesto hummus and serve.
For the Pecan Pesto:
The pecans can give the pesto a bitter taste. I evened out the flavor by adding agave syrup.
- 3/4 cup Pecans
- 1+ 1/2 cups Basil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 squirts of agave nectar
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt