With the deep sweet flavor of the roasted butternut squash, this hummus does not need much seasoning. I tried the same recipe recently with sweet potatoes from the farmers' market. Perfect result. Just a little denser in texture and flavor.Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 3/4 cup chick peas drained and de-shelled from their transparent skins (skip this step if you are short on time)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil and more from brushing
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- 1 large glove of garlic minced
- juice and zest from 1/2 a large lemon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt and some for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Spread the butternut squash pieces out on the baking sheet, brush the squash with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Roast for about 35 minutes or until the squash pieces are tender.
- In the bowl of a food processor, place chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, garlic, lemon juice and zest and salt.
- When squash is ready, remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before adding to the food processor.
- Pulse a few times then blend everything on high speed until it forms a paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle a little kosher salt over the top.
- Serve with toasted pita brad or crackers.