This is one of my best Germany American crossbreed recipe creations ever. A variation of cheeseburger ingredients is rolled up in a simple homemade strudel dough and baked casserole style.
One of the things I like best about this recipe is it skips the step of pre-cooking the filling (onions and ground beef) before filling the dough. This makes the whole process go a whole lot faster. Because the onions are not precooked, I highly recommend you use a sweet variety.
The strudel dough is a simple combination of flour, salt, and water with a tablespoon of oil. No yeast required. However, it does need a rest time before rolling it out.
In addition to diced sweet onion, the ground beef is mixed with chopped pickles (optional) and seasoned with garlic powder, Worcestershire and soy sauces and salt and pepper. I used cheddar cheese but feel free to swap it out for your favorite.
Serve this fun dish with ketchup on the side or a full complement of ketchup, mustard, and mayo. It's also a great take-along dish for any weekend barbecue or potluck dinner.
Substitute ground turkey instead of the beef for a lighter version.
Rest time: 45 minutes
Bake time: 30 Minutes
Yield: Serves 4Ingredients:
For the dough:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil, plus some for greasing the dish.
- 1+1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large sweet onion, diced.
- 1/2 cup chopped pickles
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup, plus some to serve the rollups with.
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1+1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided into 1/2 cup portions
Make the dough:
- In the bowl of your mixer, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Fit the mixer with the dough hook attachment. Add the water and the oil and knead until the mixture becomes a smooth, elastic dough.
- Form the dough into a ball. Place it back in the mixing bowl. Cover with a dish cloth and let rest for 45 minutes.
- Place the chopped meat, onion, and pickles in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the egg, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup garlic powder, salt, and pepper and mix again.
- Grease a large casserole dish and set aside. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Halve the dough. Roll one half of the dough out onto a floured work surface into a rectangle.
- Spread the meat mixture on top of the dough. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese on top of the meat mixture.
- Roll the dough up from the long side into a log. Use a sharp knife to cut the log into two-inch sized rolls.
- Place the rolls, swirls sides up into the prepared greased baking dish.
- Repeat with the other half of the dough and meat mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese over the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lightly spritz water over the tops of the rollups.
- Cover with a clean dishtowel and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and serve. with ketchup on the side.
Try these other Ground Beef recipes:
|Gruyere-Stuffed Walnut Meatballs|
|Baked Apples Stuffed with Sage Beef & Rice|
|Butternut Squash Ground Beef Casserole|
|Stuffed Sweet Onions in Beer Sauce|