If you are throwing or attending a BBQ or party, I got you covered for your Memorial Day weekend dessert with this fluffy and flavorful yogurt semolina cake. Yes, I said fluffy and semolina in the same sentence. The cake is made with half semolina flour and half all purpose flour. The result is one light, silky tasty cake.
Once out of the oven, the cake it is soaked in homemade lime ginger syrup. After cooling, a thick layer of sweet yogurt whipped cream is spread over the top.
The cake itself also contains yogurt. Plain yogurt. The whipped topping has the fancy Greek kind because it has a thicker consistency. Oh, and both are full-fat versions. Don't judge.
The ginger-lime flavored syrup was made from scratch. I doubled the recipe below, bottling the rest to mix with cocktails. Don't judge. You can change out the flavor of this recipe very easily. Swap out the lime and ginger for lemon or orange or grapefruit.
Blow off the citrus version altogether and use any flavored juice to make the syrup, apple, cherry or strawberry. Another idea is to create simple syrup out of your favorite herb. If you already have a bottle of flavored syrup in your pantry, use that.
You can make this cake a day ahead. Just cover the pan lightly with foil, making sure the foil does not touch the topping. It feeds a lot of people. Or fewer people if they really like cake.
Bake Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 15Ingredients:
For the cake:
- 2 cups semolina
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 21 oz full-fat plain yogurt
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup melted butter, cooled.
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 cups heavy cream (16 oz)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup full fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of lime zest or lime wheels for decoration
Make the cake:
- Grease and flour a 9"x13" brownie pan.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the semolina, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In your mixer, beat together the sugar, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in half the semolina mixture. Add the butter and then the rest of the semolina mixture. Beat until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven.
Make the syrup:
- Place the sugar, lime juice, and ginger in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring, just until the sugar has melted. Strain out the ginger pieces and set aside to cool.
- Use a toothpick or a fork to poke holes in the cake all across the top.
- Pour the syrup evenly over the cake. Let the cake cool completely.
Make the topping:
- Beat the heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the yogurt and vanilla together.
- Fold the whipped cream into the yogurt mixture.
Assemble the Cake: