Tender, juicy, garlic studded and seasoned chicken breasts are wrapped in potato spirals then pan fried to crispy perfection.
You can get creative with this dish. Stuff some spinach, kale, herbs or cheese between the chicken and potato parts.
I garnished this dish with rosemary but you can use any fresh herb you prefer or have on hand. Fresh thyme, basil or tarragon would also be a nice option.
If you don't have clarified butter on hand, you can make your own very easily. Recipes for clarified butter are found here and here.
You will need a Spiralizer or a similar device to make this dish. This is a kitchen gadget that cuts vegetables into long continuous ribbons. On most of these gadgets, there are several blade options. For this dish, you want to select the "thin spiral" option or something similar.
Transform this recipe into a low carb version by substituting zucchini noodles instead of potatoes. Just be aware the zucchini will cook much faster than the potatoes. Consequently, pre cook the chicken breasts on all sides for about 10 minutes. Remove them from the pan, let cool until they can be handled, then wrap the pre-cooked chicken pieces in the zucchini noodles.
Garlic Chicken Wrapped in Potato Jackets
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4Ingredients:
- 4 chicken breasts
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 large potatoes or 2 extra large potatoes 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- fresh rosemary sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Rinse the chicken breasts and pat dry with paper towels.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Peel the garlic and cut lengthwise into pieces.
- Use a small sharp knife to cut small holes in the chicken breasts and stick the garlic pieces in the holes.
- Peel the potatoes and use a spiralizer to cut each one into spaghetti shaped strands.
- Wrap each chicken breast with the potato ribbons, leaving about 1 inch on each end of each chicken breast.
- Place a layer of paper towels beside the stovetop.
- Heat the clarified butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Swirl the two ingredients together in the pan to make sure they are combined.
- Add the wrapped chicken breasts and cook on all sides. You will have to turn the breasts in quarter turns to makes sure the entire potato jacket on each chicken breast is cooked thoroughly.
- When the potato jackets are golden brown and the chicken breasts are cooked through, remove from pan and let drain on the paper towels. Pat off any excess grease.
- Plate the crispy potato covered chicken breasts, then garnish the plate with fresh rosemary sprigs or your fresh herb of choice and serve.
Like Chicken Breast? Check out the recipes below:
Chicken in Apricot Cream Sauce / Chicken Cornflakes Schnitzel / Chicken Schnitzel Casserole in Thyme Mushroom Cream Sauce