So about that Spring-like weather that was happening here on the East Coast? Epic fail. Over the weekend I got snowed in in Western Massachusetts.
Time for a shot. Of bourbon. In cookie form with a ginger almond chaser.
These flourless sweet and spicy cookies are chewy and flavorful, and a bit addictive. I used almond flour instead of all-purpose and chopped up some leftover crystallized ginger.
Adding the Four Roses bourbon was just a cold weather inspired extra flavor boost. Use amaretto if you want to keep going with the almond theme or leave the booze out entirely.
The best part is, they take only a half hour to prepare and bake.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 18 cookiesIngredients:
- 2 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 1+1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2+1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup candied ginger, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using the whisk attachment of your mixer, beat the egg whites. When they become foamy, add the salt.
- Beat the whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add in the in the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and bourbon and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Fold the almond flour into the egg white mixture.
- Stir in the ginger pieces.
- Use a teaspoon to form the cookies on the baking sheet. You can use your hands but wet them first because the dough is very sticky.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to wire racks to cook completely before serving.