Roasted hazelnuts, a grated green apple, sweet onion and Emmenthaler cheese are all mixed with grated rutabaga to form the rösti.
I made smaller pancake sized portions but feel free to make 4 extra large ones with this recipe. I find the smaller ones easy to handle. I'm not the greatest food flipper and am a bit intimidated by having to turn over a giant sized anything.
Once everything is grated, this recipe comes together quickly. If you have an electronic appliance that you can use to speed along the process, by al means do it. There are a lot of ingredients to grate by hand.
The taste is savory with a hint of sweetness. The hazelnuts add another layer of flavor and crunch.
Because there are so many flavors going on in this recipe, I simply added salt and pepper to some plain sour cream to accompany the dish. However, you can spice it up with whatever you like.
Rutabaga Apple Rösti with
Hazelnuts & Emmenthaler
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 pieces
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1 lb rutabaga, peeled and grated
- 1 medium sized sweet onion, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 oz grated Emmenthaler
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup Sour cream
- Place the hazelnuts in a small sized skillet. Lightly toast over low heat. Remove from heat and let cool completely. when the hazelnuts have cooled roll them around in a paper town to remove most of the skins. Chop them and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the rutabaga, onions, flour, hazelnuts and cheese.
- Add the beaten egg and mix to combine thoroughly.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the oil in the skillet.
- Place a layer of paper towels beside the stove.
- Shape the mixture into pancake sized portions.They should be twice the thickness of pancakes but similar in diameter.
- Flatten out each portion like a pancake. Add to the skillet and fry on both sides until golden.
- Season the sour cream with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve the rösti with the seasoned sour cream.