When I find a new ingredient I like, I ride it until the wheels fall off. My new favorite is smoked garlic. I was only able to but a ginormous amount of if on a stalk at Whole Foods. The first recipe I made with is were these savory Whole Wheat Red Pepper Smoked Garlic Scones.
Although the scones were delicious, I regretted I did not roast the garlic before adding them to the recipe's batter.
This time I roasted them which turned the flavor slightly sweet. Sweet smoked garlic made for hummus heaven. Adding a sting of citrus with lemon juice and zest rounded out the overall flavor nicely.
If you can't get your mitts on some smoked garlic, substitute a small amount of liquid smoke and regular garlic.
Roasted Smoked Garlic Lemon Hummus
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Serves 4Ingredients:
- 1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 2 smoked garlic bulbs or 1/4-1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use a sharp knife to cut off the tips of the garlic bulbs and place them on a square of aluminum foil.
- Drizzle the bulbs with olive oil, wrap them up in the foil and place them in the oven.
- Bake the bulbs for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Squeeze the now soft garlic cloves out of the bulb and set aside.
- Set aside some lemon zest and roasted garlic cloves for garnish if you like.
- While the garlic is roasting in the oven, rinse the chickpeas with cold water.
- Place them in a bowl and fill the bowl with cold water.Use your fingers to gently rub the skins off of the chickpeas. The transparent skins should float to the top. Discard them.
- Rinse the chickpeas once more and place in a food processor.
- Add the tahini and 4 tablespoons of olive oil, the lemon juice and zest and the garlic cloves.
- Puree the ingredients until smooth.
- Add salt and give it another go in the FP.
- Place the hummus in serving dish and drizzle with more olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Garnish with roasted garlic cloves and freshly grated lemon zest.