Here a soup that is a cross between comfort food and celebratory dish. A sexy take on chicken noodle soup, this slightly tipsy soup is perfect for your fancy New Year's Eve dinner or New Year's Day brunch. However, it also works if you choose to spend both of those cuddled up on the sofa in your jammies.
There is no chicken meat in this soup. It can be easily added to the recipe. The soup is simply a blend of chicken stock (use organic if you can), heavy cream and seasoned with a bit of nutmeg. This is a quick and easy recipe to prepare for a dinner party or for watching the ball drop from your sofa.
You can get fancy and add different color noodles but thin good old workhorse egg noodles will do the trick. I used a recipe for hand-rolled egg noodles and cut out the numbers 2017 using number cutters just to be extra fancy. Using store bought is obviously a huge time saver.
To finish the soup off, I topped it with a splash of hazelnut oil and a sprinkling of chopped toasted hazelnut. You can use any nut or oil you like for this step.
Creamy Hazelnut Chicken
Noodle Prosecco Soup
Noodle Prosecco Soup
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 3+1/2 ounces egg noodles (angel hair cut)
- 1/3 cups chopped hazelnuts
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup prosecco
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 teaspoons hazelnut oil
- Cook the noodles until they are al dente, drain and evenly divide them between 4 soup bowls.
- In a small naked frying pan, toast the hazelnut pieces until they are golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan over medium heat combine the chicken broth, heavy cream and butter bring to a boil.
- Stir in the ground nutmeg and add the prosecco.
- Turn the heat down low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the tablespoon of flour to thicken the soup.
- Cook for about 5 minutes more.
- Season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Pour the soup evenly over the noodles between the 4 soup bowls.
- Splash 1 teaspoon each of hazelnut oil on top of each bowl of soup,. Garnish each with the toasted chopped hazelnuts and serve immediately.