This had got to be my best Thanksgiving leftovers repurposing idea yet. Admittedly, this is a little weird considering flammkuchen comes from Germany/France where they do not celebrate Thanksgiving.
So call them Thanksgiving Leftover pizzas if you like. The ones pictured have mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, roasted Brussel sprouts, shredded roasted turkey and cranberry sauce. For extra crunch, I sprinkled some raw walnut pieces over the tops.
You can get creative with whatever savory leftovers you have in your fridge. String beans, creamed corn, stuffing all would work well. Sprinkle nuts or cheese over the top if you like. For a breakfast version, crack an egg on top before baking.
Your family can gather in the kitchen to create their own personalized version. Just roll out the dough, place the leftovers on the counter and let everyone have fun creating to their taste with their favorites.
Because it's never too soon after Thanksgiving to start eating again.
Thanksgiving Leftovers Flammkuchen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch of white granulated sugar
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 1+1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 5 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, kosher salt, and one pinch of white granulated sugar.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Dissolve the yeast in the water. Add the water to the well and 3 tablespoons of the canola oil and knead everything into a smooth dough. Knead in the fresh dill
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and leave in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and cut in half. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts (use a kitchen scale) and roll out each out into an oval or egg shape.
- Cover each oval with selections of your Thanksgiving leftovers. I used mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, roasted Brussel sprouts, leftover shredded turkey and cranberry sauce. I sprinkled some raw walnut pieces on top before placing the flammkuchen in the oven.
- Place the flammkuchen in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.