As promised, here is the other rhubarb cake, simple to make but with sophisticated flavor. This lavender spiked cake comes together very quickly.
The best part is the no fuss, no muss with the rhubarb. You don't have to cook it down or chop it into tiny pieces. Large pieces of the stalks are pushed into the lavender scented cake batter before baking.
Once the cake is removed from the oven, let cool completely, sprinkle with powdered sugar and if you like, some extra dried lavender to make it even prettier and done.
This recipe is a riff on one I found in a German cooking magazine. Consequently, there is less sugar in this cake than in most American versions. This especially works well as being less sweet nicely brings out the contrast between the sour rhubarb and floral flavor of the lavender.
Rhubarb Lavender Cake
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 45 minutesIngredients:
- 1+1/2 lb fresh rhubarb
- 1+1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons lavender syrup (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup dried lavender buds, plus some for garnish if desired
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- Powder sugar for dusting the top of the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim off all the rough ends of the rhubarb. rinse the rhubarb and pat dry. Cut the rhubarb stalks into 2-3 inch pieces. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Beat the butter and the sugar together until creamy. Add the vanilla and beat until combined. Mix in the lemon zest.
- Add the eggs, one at a time until thoroughly combined.
- Mix in the lavender syrup.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter in thirds until just combined.
- Mix in the dried lavender.
- Grease an 8x11 inch pan. Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the batter to the pan. use a spatula to even out the top of the batter.
- Push the cut rhubarb into the batter evenly distributing the pieces throughout the cake. Make sure some are showing on the top of the cake.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and transfer to
- Let cool completely before sprinkling with powdered sugar. Garnish with extra lavender buds. Cut and serve.
Heat 1/4 cup white granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of water in a small saucepan. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add and 1 teaspoon dried lavender buds
Check out some
of my other rhubarb creations:Rhubarb Raspberry Streusel Cake
Rhubarb-Date Ginger Chutney
Rhubarb Meringue Cake
Rhubarb Curd & Elderflower Cream with Vanilla Shortbread Fingers