If you are in a panic over what to serve for dessert tonight, I present this recipe to your rescue.
Don't let the word "quince" scare you away. You can easily substitute more accessible fresh pears. This is a great make ahead recipe and it keeps for several days in the refrigerator.
Served in dessert glasses, or poured over ice cream, this easy, make-ahead seasonal holiday dessert is not only delicious, its ruby red color looks beautiful on any festive table.
This recipe looks fancy but is so simple to create. A quick sugar syrup is made first by simmering fresh cranberries, whole vanilla beans and a cinnamon stick together with water and sugar.
Cut, cored and quartered, the fresh quince, is then added to the flavored syrup, placed in the oven and baked until the fruit softens.
Poached Quince in Cranberry Vanilla Syrup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 4 cups white granulated sugar 4 cups water
- 2 whole vanilla beans
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 medium sized fresh quince
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees C.
- Place the white granulated sugar and water in a large saucepan and cook over a medium heat until the sugar has almost dissolved.
- Use a small sharp knife to slit the vanilla beans down the center, leaving each end intact and add them to the pot. Add the cranberries and cinnamon stick.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, then remove the mixture from the heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Wash the fresh quinces and pat dry.
- Peel the quinces and quarter them. Cut the core from each quarter. Make sure you remove al the rough residue from the core. Cut each quarter in half.
- Place the peeled fresh quince wedges in a small casserole dish, dutch oven or heat proof pan. Cover the quince pieces with the cranberry vanilla syrup. Make sure they are completely submerged in the liquid.
- Place the vessel in the oven and cook for 40 minutes or until the quinces become soft. You should be able to easily run a fork through them.
- Remove the dish from oven and let cool completely.
- Remove the whole vanilla beans and cinnamon stick from the liquid and discard. Transfer the cooked quince wedges to serving glasses or plates. Pour the flavored syrup over the top and serve.
- If you are making this dish ahead of time, place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.