As most of you know, I can never get enough of making scones. First, they are so easy to make and second they are a great way to use up leftover bits and pieces in the pantry like chips, nuts and dried fruit.
I love making scones. That's why these are heart shaped. These were actually made for a brunch, not just to use up leftover ingredients. The guests loved them. What's not to like? The sweet sting of ginger and bittersweet chocolate wrapped in whole wheat goodness.
That's the third thing. Serving warm homemade scones will always make you look like a kitchen rock star.
Whole Wheat Candied Ginger
Chocolate Chip Scones
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold butter cut into pieces
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped crystalized ginger
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Add the butter pieces and pulse again until the butter and flour mixture has become crumb consistency.
- Add milk and vanilla and pulse until the dough is wet throughly and then add the ginger and chocolate chips.
- Pat out into a circle on a lightly floured surface.
- Use a cutter to make shapes (like a heart) or Use a sharp knife to cut the circle in 8 pieces (or use a cutter to make circles or other shapes)
- Place on baking sheet and brush with cream.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until scones turned lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack until they have cooled completely.