These German sand cookies are similar in process to American icebox cookies. You can also keep the finished dough log in the freezer and portion off however many you need to bake at a time.
This version is special, containing luscious flavorful marzipan giving these "slice and bake" cookies a whole other dimension. I made my own almond paste which I then used to create homemade marzipan to use in these cookies. Both are quick and easy to make and much more economical than store-bought.
These cookies are especially popular in Germany at Christmas time. However, I am seasonally blind when it comes to cookie cravings. So here they are today. The German word for this cookie is "Thaler" which means "coin".
I'm all for creating a new cookie currency. Who's with me?
German Marzipan Sand Cookies
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Bake Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 50 CookiesIngredients:
- 1 stick plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 ounces marzipan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
For the next day:
- 1 medium-sized egg yolk at room temperature, beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- In a stand mixer, combine the unsalted butter and powdered sugar until mixed thoroughly.
- Add the marzipan, vanilla sugar and fresh lemon zest.
- Add the all-purpose flour to the dough and mix in until the dough sticks together.
- Form the dough into two round logs about 2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap separately in plastic cling film and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on the counter and spread the sugar out in a rectangle shape making sure the length is the same as the dough log.
- Remove the dough log from the fridge, unwrap and brush with egg yolk.
- Roll the dough in the sugar until it is completely coated.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into thin disks.
- Place cookies on the baking sheets and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.