No French macarons today on this very American holiday. Instead, using sugar cookie dough, I am showcasing the patriotic American colors today as a nod to memorial day.
With lots of leftover vanilla sugar cookie dough in the freezer it was easy peasy to repurposed it into these lovely, bright pinwheel cookies.
Squishing the dough scraps together, rolled it out and used a cutter to make the tie dyed star shaped cookies to complement the pinwheels.
Half the cookies I sprinkled sanding sugar on before baking, half I left plain because I couldn't decide which look I liked better. Why not do both?
Today let's take a moment to think about and thank all military for their service and dedication.
Red White and Blue Pinwheel Cookies
- Your favorite light colored sugar cookie dough divided into three equal parts.
- Red and blue paste food coloring
- Sanding sugar (optional- I used red)
- Work the red color into one portion of the dough, then the blue into another. Leave the third plain.
- Shape into flat rectangles, all approximately the same size.
- Individually wrap all three pieces with plastic cling film and place in fridge for at least a half hour.
- On a floured surface, roll out the red dough into a large rectangle, thinner than usual.
- Repeat with the un-tinted dough and gently lay it on top of the red dough.
- Repeat with the blue portion, laying it gently on the plain cookie dough layer.
- Using a sharp knife, trim the edges all around to make all edges straight.
- Starting at the wide end of the dough layers, roll the dough into a log.
- Wrap in plastic cling film and place in fridge for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove from fridge and using a sharp knife, slice the log into pieces and lay them in the baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with sanding sugar if desired.
- Gently squish the scarps together and roll out on the floured surface.
- Use a cutter to make shapes, sprinkle with sanding sugar (optional) and place on baking sheets.
- Bake for approximately 8 minutes. Remove from oven right before the cookies start browning.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.