Sometimes I get weary trolling aisles of various stores for baking supplies. Then there is the occasional score which makes it all worth it.
Recent I found this Williams-Sonoma cookie lettering set at TJ Maxx for $4.99. I have one similar much smaller rectangle shaped cutter back in Germany I've used before for a Karneval party. Compared to that cutter, for which I paid about 15 Euros, this was a great find.
This set contains three large plunger style shapes (heart, star and rectangle) and the letters. Inserting the letters with this set was much easier than my other one. The best part is, included are entire words to save you time searching and loading the letters. "Thank You" "Happy" "Birthday" are a few examples. Totally. Love.
I had another idea for a Mother's Day cookie but I quickly jettisoned it when I saw these cutters. I also wanted to switch up my preferred sugar cookie recipe. With leftover cream cheese in the fridge, I made cream cheese rollout sugar cookies, divided the dough and tinted it three different colors. Ok so I made cheesy mother's day message cookies. So sue me.
I went to work with the heart cutter using three different sentiments for the cookies. Happy Mothers' Day, Thank You Mom and I Love You Mom.
Before baking, I sprinkled each with similar color glitter sugar. Of course, even this fun new cookie toy could not eclipse my glitter obsession. I also made a few tri-colored ones by scrunching together the cookie dough scraps.
I was really pleased with how these came out. These cookies would look just fine cut out in pretty shapes and glittered without the words but this set is a great way to personalize them. I checked the web to see where one might purchase this set. Seems only Ebay has them and most of the the prices are crazy. If you want this set and have one or more TJ Maxx near you, I suggest you check out their home goods section to see if you can snag one for yourself.
Mother's Day Message Cookies
For the Cream Cheese Rollout Cookies:
(This recipe adapted from Taste of Home is fab. The cookies are very tasty with little spread so the cookies hold their shapes well.)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 sounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Food coloring
- Optional colorful sugar glitter
- In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour.
- Divide dough into equal parts depending upon how many colors you would like. Wrap each portion individually in plastic cling film and Refrigerate 1-2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 359°. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.Load your message cutter with desired sentiment.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out portion of the color dough and cut with the floured message cutter and transfer to baking sheets.
- Repeat with the other positrons of tinted cookie dough. If you have scarps left over, you can gently scrunch them together to form marbled multi colored cookie dough. Roll out and cut like the others.
- If desired sprinkle with sugar glitter and place in freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and bake 7-8 minutes. check after 5 minutes. You want to remove the cookies before the edges start to brown.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.