Lindsay over at the wonderful Love and Olive Oil blog has been obsessed with ginger ale lately and challenged bloggers this month to come up with homemade versions preferably without blowing up the results.
Full confession: Mine exploded when I opened it. I was so smug beforehand because I placed the bottle in the bathtub for the required 48 hours processing time with the shower curtain closed, just in case. Nothing happened. Overconfident much? When I opened the bottle, it exploded all over the fancy flowing chiffon shirt I was wearing but I managed to save about half of the liquid.
What? You don't dress up to photograph your blog posts? Jeesh.
Like Lindsay, I love ginger ale. I don't drink soda in general but occasionally make an exception for ginger ale. After reading her post I was motivated to make my own homemade version. The opportunity to use up more of the lilac syrup I made from the fresh lilacs in my garden further spurred me on.
After posts on lilac flavored chocolate truffles, scones, French macarons, cupcakes and now soda, I'm a little sad that my little lilacpalooza has now come to an end, But wait! There's more! I did make two more recipes but I will save them for another time.
Homemade Lilac Ginger Ale
I followed a very easy recipe from Alton Brown suggested in the May Kitchen Challenge post. I added a 1/3 cup of homemade lilac syrup. The result was surprisingly delicious. the lilac syrup gave the ginger ale a little floral something extra.
For the Lilac Syrup:
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- One cup Water
- 1+1/2 cups fresh lilac blossoms
- A few drops of purple food coloring (optional)
- Rinse the lilac blossoms well and gently pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the f lowers sugar and water together in a saucepan and heat on low.
- when mixture starts to boil turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 10 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Stir in the food coloring if desired
- Remove from heat, strain out the flowers and let cool completely.
- Place in sealed jar and store in a cool dark place.