These were the result of a fail. Not in taste but in shapes. My first idea was to make a tricolored rolled heart cookie in slice and bake form using the basic recipe from my Vanilla & Chocolate Cookies Four Ways.
It just didn't work. Although I like the artsiness of the free form look (a bit Salvador Dali), I was a bit disappointed with the result and didn't want to post them as they were.
While trying to fix the problem, or more specifically wondering what to do with the dough, I was eying the mounting pile of multi colored scraps and switched gears, Mushing the colored dough together to create a marble effect, I rolled and cut out heart shapes.
I was surprisingly pleased with the result.
The flavors were wonderful. The raspberry and vanilla flavors blended perfectly to make a bright flavored cookie that was as happy as these cookies look.
Valentine's Raspberry Vanilla
- 3/4 Cup butter, softened
- 1+1/2 cups white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2+1/2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon Raspberry extract
- Red food coloring
- Pink food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix until blended.
- Add vanilla extract and salt.
- Add flour in thirds until just mixed in.
- Separate the dough into three equal parts (I used a kitchen scale.)
- Place one part back in the mixing bowl and add 1/2 teaspoon of the raspberry extract and pink food coloring. When blended, remove from bowl and set aside.
- Repeat with the second of the three dough parts with the remaining extract and red food coloring.
- Wrap each ball of dough separately in plastic cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Roll each color out separately into a long rectangle and lay each color on top of the other making a stack of the three colors.
- Cut the stacked rectangle into strips lengthwise and twist the dough together.
- Knead until the marble effect is achieved. Don't over knead or the colors will blend together.
- Cut with a hear cutter, place on prepared sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms of the cookies turn very slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.