I love making Valentine's Day treats but enough already with the red and pink. Here's some bright yellow to break things up a bit.
In yet another of what seem to be endless attempts to use up egg yolks from my ever increasing macaron making, here is some really good banana ice cream. It's better than I deserve it to be because of the not very well thought out last ditch attempt to use up those yolks.
I hope to get points for adding in some bright green pistachios and lovely Ghirardelli sweet white chocolate chips.
I used banana extract and added a wee smidge of yellow food coloring because the mixture was looking slightly boring until I did.
This ice cream was perfect and I ate
Pistachio, White Chocolate Chip,
- 1& 1/2 cups cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon banana extract
- 1 dab of yellow paste food coloring (optional)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup unsalted shelled pistachios chopped
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Whisk together egg yolks in a heat safe bowl and set aside.
- Place cream, milk, sugar and extract in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and heat until sugar dissolves and mixture is just about to boil.
- Add food coloring if desired.
- Remove the mixture from heat and slowly pour it into the egg yolks whisking constantly, tempering the yolks..
- Scrape the tempered mixture back into the sauce pan, stirring with a wooden spoon over medium heat until the custard thickens a bit and covers the back of the spoon.
- Strain back into the hetat safe bowl cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours or preferably overnight.
- Place mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions.
- When the ice cream has reached soft serve consistency, mix in the pistachios and white chocolate chips.
- Place in a freezer safe container and place back in the freezer for at least an hour until the ice cream hardens enough to scoop.