Watching leaves falling off the trees in the country this past weekend. Wow. Where for art thou summer?
I call this a seasonal bridge ice cream. Something to make with the last juicy peaches of the summer adding a hint of fall spice.
The sweetness of the peaches, flavor deepened by brown sugar paired perfectly with the allspice caramel finish. The last glimpse of summer with the spicy warm promise of fall.
Roasted Peach Ice Cream with
For the Roasted Peach Ice Cream:
- 4 large extra ripe peaches
- 3/4 cup brown sugar plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Slice the peaches into wedges, sprinkle with sugar and place on the top rack.
- Roast until soft.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Place roasted peaches in food processor and puree.
- Whisk egg yolks together in a heatproof bowl.
- In a medium sauce pan combine cream, milk and vanilla. Heat until almost boiling.
- Remove from heat and temper the egg yolks.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and heat again until mixture has thickened.
- Strain mixture into a bowl.
- Whisk in the roasted peach puree and refrigerate for several hours or overnight until throughly chilled.
- Add mixture to your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturers instructions.
- When transferring the ice cream to a container for freezing, layer in the all spice caramel sauce, adding a layer of ice cream, then caramel sauce, repeat.
- Let harden in the freezer before scooping and serving.
For the All Spice Caramel Sauce: