After creating all those herb sugars I made a few weeks ago, It was time to start playing with them. Big soft sugar cookies are always a good idea. Here's my simple flavorful twist.
Sage infused sugar was substituted for some of the regular white granulated. I also pressed fresh sage leaves on top of the cookies. Just as an experiment I pulled the cookies out of the oven about 5 minutes before they were done and adhered the leaves. I also tried pressing them in right when they came out of the oven. No big difference.
The result was soft, chewy with undertones of sage. The flavored sugar really boosted the taste. It might be hard to go back to baking with the plain variety.
Giant Chewy Sage Sugar CookiesIngredients:
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick of butter room temperature
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sage sugar (found here)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- Small fresh sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla scraping down the sides of the mixer bowl.
- With the mixer on low, add half the flour, then the yogurt then the rest of the flour.
- Drop large spoonfuls onto un-greased baking sheets and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Half way though remove cookies from oven and press the fresh dage leaves onto the tops.
- Turn the baking sheet around and place back in oven to finish baking.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cook completely.
Now onto the giveaway. A big thank you to both Dede Wilson and Harvard Common Press for the opportunity to give away these two wonderful, fun books. I highly recommend both of them.
Congratulations to Mandy for winning a copy of A Baker's Field Guide to Doughnuts.
Another congratulations to MotherWouldKnow for winning a copy of Cake Balls
Winners, check your email inboxes for a mail from me requesting your address and enjoy your prizes!