No matter how hard I try to use it up when I buy buttermilk for a recipe, I always have some leftover. The last carton was used for a double batch of cupcakes, then another cake, now this bread.
The whole reason I made this quick bread was another attempt to use up the rest of the buttermilk and I still have some leftover. It's a magical bottomless quart.
Sumac is one of my favorite spices. I use it every chance I get, including in salad dressing or just sprinkled on salad.
The combination of lemon, sumac, which also has a slightly lemony flavor and this buttermilk quick bread was perfect. I doubled down and added lemon zest and sumac to the glaze. Flavorful and so easy, I will definitely be making this again.
I am linking this post up with the Twelve Loaves Challenge,a new monthly challenge created by four fabulous food bloggers out there: The other L-o-r-a of Cake Duchess, my macaron mentor Jamie from Life's a Feast, Lisa from Parsely, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives and Barbara of Creative Culinary
This month's challenge was to create a bread with summer fruit. You can find the rules here or click the badge above. There is still time to bake along. The deadline is August 31st. Link your post to the linky tool at the bottom of Lora, Lisa or Jamie’s blog. I can't wait to see what these creative ladies come up with next month!
Lemon Sumac Buttermilk Quick Bread
For the Quick Bread:
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1&1.2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1+1/2 tablespoons ground sumac
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease or spray a standard loaf pan.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients and add the lemon zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and mix together with a wooden spoon just until a sticky dough forms.
- Transfer dough to the loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before removing from pan and adding glaze.
For the Lemon Sumac Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice (I used freshly squeezed)
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoons ground sumac
- Whisk lemon juice into powdered sugar.
- Mix in zest and sumac.
- Pour/drizzle over completely cooled quick bread.