This is my Rainbow Carrot Hummus reinterpreted as a spread.
On New Year's Day we invited several friends for brunch at our apartment in NYC. Several bottles of prosecco were consumed, lucky marzipan pigs (brought back from Germany) were distributed and we all participated in bleigeissen.
Bleigeissen (lead pouring) is a New Year's custom in Germany and Austria. Little metal lucky shapes are passed around and each person melts their shape in a little metal cup over a candle flame. When the shape has liquified it is quickly dumped into a bowl of cold water where it takes on a new form altogether.
The guest picks the now cold piece of metal out of the water and decides what the new shape looks like to them (insect, heart, baby, etc). The new shape is then matched to a key of explanations that comes with the game and it tells something that will happen in the upcoming year. A flower means new friendship, a fish means new happiness, etc.
|Guests eagerly awaiting their lead futures. Of course my camera is permanently|
set on macro mode so the only picture I have of the brunch is blurry.
It was fun to watch a group of jaded New Yorkers participate. Lots of laughs and twisted jokes and of course, crude sexual interpretations all around. There was also food, of course. Homemade käse spätzle, a large organic chicken salad, apricot sage whole wheat biscuits, fresh bagels, homemade cream cheese spreads, New Year's cookies and espresso chocolate macarons.
This roasted carrot pistachio spread was made for the appetizer. When I made the hummus version, it was so thick, I thought it would make a good spread. So I kept the chickpeas and tahini and omitted the rest of the ingredients, adding the pistachios for another level of flavor. It was a wonderful combination. After I bought the carrots at the Union Square farmer's market I spied another stall selling these delicious Finnish dark bread rounds. They worked perfectly with the spread.
Roasted Carrot Pistachio Spread
- 1 pound carrots
- Olive oil for coating carrots
- Kosher salt for sprinkling over carrots before roasting
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup chopped un-roasted unsalted pistachios
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Chop carrots an spread out on baking sheet.
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Roast until soft.
- In the meantime, drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Rub the chickpeas to remove the transparent shell.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse a few time to combine, then process on high until a thick paste is formed.
- Serve with crackers or bread.