Yes cakies. The result of these clean out my fridge cookies was a consistency between cookies and cakes.
I had promised cookies to a UN Spouses Association event and ran out of time to plan what I was going to make. So I gathered the left over odds and ends in my refrigerator which included a pomegranate, a stick of organic shortening, unsweetened apple sauce and an almost empty jar of caramel sauce.
After I made the cakies, I fancied them up a bit and added a caramel glaze. The cakies themselves were not very sweet, so adding the glaze gave that a boost. It also balanced the tartness of the fresh pomegranate seeds and apple sauce.
There was not one left at the end of the evening and several very nice people went out of their way to tell me how good they were. Yay for cleaning out the fridge!
Applesauce Caramel Pomegranate Cakies
with Caramel Glaze
For the Cookie/Cakie:
- 2+1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick (4 oz.) organic shortening
- 1/4 stick (2 oz.) softened butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
- 1 cup apple sauce
- Seeds from 1 whole pomegranate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Set out the wire racks for cooling the cookies and place sheets of tin foil under them to catch the glaze drippings.
- Whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Cream together the shortening, butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add egg and combine thoroughly.
- Mix in vanilla extract and caramel sauce.
- Turn the mixer down to a lower speed and add 1/3 of the flour mixture, then half of the apple sauce, then another 1/3 of the flour mixture, the rest of the apple sauce and the last of the flour mixture.
- Stir in the pomegranate seeds.
- Warning: The dough is very sticky so wet your hands before forming the cookies on the baking sheet. If you are using a spoon, grease it.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges have browned and the middles of the cookies are soft but not gooey.
- Remove from oven and transfer to wire racks and let cool completely before glazing.
Yield + 40 cookies
For the Caramel Glaze:
(Barely adapted from the The Runaway Spoon's Recipe)
- 1/2 stick (4 oz) butter cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup light firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar