First order of business is the Giveaway winner.
Congratulations to Lisa of Parsley, Sage & Line Drives. I will be shipping the merry joyful box of baking supplies and those big assed cookie cutters asap.
Now onto the cookies. When I was making stained glass cookies with those ginormous cutters I wondered what else I could make with melted Lifesavers and Jolly Ranchers. So I separated the candies by color and crushed them.
The crushed candies were spread out on baking sheets lined with baking paper. Below is the multi colored version.
The crushed candies were melted in the oven for a few minutes until I had puddles of colored candy.
After cooling I broke the sheets up into pieces and pushed them into almost baked roll out sugar cookies to create a mosaic look.
After popping the cookies back into the oven for a few minutes to finish off, the candy pieces melted enough to seal them to the cookies.
Then I started to play with making different designs.
These cookies will probably break your teeth but they sure are purdy.
For the cookies:
- 1 +3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (half cup) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Line baking sheets with baking paper
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Add sugar and beat until combined and fluffy.
- Mix in egg until just combined.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix in dry ingredients in thirds.
- Wrap dough in plastic film and refrigerate for at least a half hour.
For the candy pieces:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide up a large bag of hard candies (I used Jolly Ranchers and Lifesavers) by color.
- Crush each pile of candy buy color and spread out on baking sheet. Be careful not to spread them too thick (like I did) or they will be hard to break into pieces and also can result in a cookie with large lumps of hard candy that's hard to eat.
- Place in oven for a few minutes until candies have melted.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Break into pieces.
To make the mosaic pattern on the cookies.
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
- Line two cookie sheets with baking paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge. Sprinkle your work surface with flour or powdered sugar and roll out the dough.
- Cut out desired shapes and bake until almost done (7-10 minutes)
- Remove from oven and press the candy pieces into the warm cookies.
- Return to oven for a few minutes to finish baking and until the candy pieces have melted slightly into the cookies.