Just arrived to our home in Germany and wanted to get this post up while my eyes are still open. I have to take jet lag into consideration. However, as I was going through the pictures of these truffles I made last weekend, so sorry about this, but I think they look like turds.
Turd truffles. Truth or Jet Lag?
Good thing I put those big glowy candy canes in some of the pictures. They distract from the truffles. See?
I promise they taste the farthest thing from a turd. Not that I have been snacking on turds. Sorry I said turd so many times on a baking blog, especially at holiday time. If you haven't left by now (I don't blame you), onto the truffles.
Leaving turdy and onto to trashy. In addition to crushed candy canes, I used hot cocoa mix in the truffles themselves. Like that wasn't trashy enough, I rolled them in it as well. You should have seen the OCD Mad Hausfrau picking the dehydrated mini marshmallows out of the hot cocoa mix. Pathetic.
But worth it. I loved how they tasted like hot cocoa and the candy cane flavor makes them even more festive.
These truffles might be turdy and trashy but they taste good. Would calling them Reindeer Poo Truffles make them classier?
Hot Chocolate Candy Cane Truffles
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 envelopes hot cocoa mix
- 4 medium sized candy canes, crushed
- Place bittersweet chocolate, milk chocolate, 2 tablespoons of the hot chocolate mix and 2 tablespoons of the crushed candy canes into a heat proof bowl.
- Heat cream and butter together until just boiling.
- Pour the butter/cream mixture over the chocolate mixture.
- Whisk until combined and smooth.
- Whisk in peppermint extract.
- Place in fridge until the mixture hardens.
- Mix together the remaining hot cocoa mix and crushed candy canes on a plate.
- Remove truffle mixture from fridge and using a teaspoon to portion out the truffles, form the mixture into balls between your hands.
- Roll the truffle in the hot cocoa mix/crushed candy cane mixture and return to the fridge until ready to serve.
- I sprinkled some red disco dust on for additional holiday flair.