Last week I saw THESE beauties on LilaLoa's blog. I knew immediately I had to try out the decorating technique she used. Hers are gorgeous traditional trees. I went a bit holiday wacky and did mine in the Mad Hausfrau colors.
Not as good as hers. Obvi. But I just loved how they came out. Sometimes I like to be hit over the head with color and these do the trick.
To make up for the color invasion, the allspice flavor in the cookies is not as powerful as gingerbread. The have just enough hint of spice to be holiday-ish.
Check out the Gaga outfits...
And little monsters...
And one very Gaga chocolate shoe...
There are a lot of non-food items there as well. I loved the Gaga Christmas stockings...
To all of you who are celebrating Christmas, traditional or Gagastyle, I wish you all a happy and a merry one!
All Spice Sugar Cookie Christmas Trees
- 1+1/3 cups AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and allspice and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together in mixer on medium setting until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and combine thoroughly.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Lower the mixer speed to low and add flour mixture in three separate parts.
- After the last of the flour is combined, briefly crank up the mixer speed to medium once more for about 15 seconds, just enough time to make sure everything is mixed together.
- Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll dough out on floured or powdered sugared surface and cut out cookies with your favorite cutters.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer cookies to a wire rack. Let cool completely before icing.