I was all about making bone cookies for halloween. I even went out and bought the Wilton bone pan.
I made sugar cookie dough, baked the cookies and smeared and sprinkled cocoa powder on them when they were finished.
I thought they came out ok, but a too bit ho hum for my taste.
So I busted out the gel food coloring and colored the rest of the dough.
And then of course I reached for these:
So this happened:
And my inner Halloween geek felt better instantly.
Halloween Glittery Bone Sugar Cookies
- 1 +3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (half cup) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Gel food coloring (I used Wilton's Black, Orange and Violet colors)
- Disco Dust (I used black, orange and purple to match the cooking but you can also use contrasting colors. I think silver or gold would look great on the black cookies.)
- 3 tablespoons drinking alcohol (vodka) separated into three different small dishes.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Spray bone pan with non stick spray.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Add sugar and beat until combined and fluffy.
- Mix in egg until just combined.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix in dry ingredients in thirds.
- Wrap dough in plastic film and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Divide dough into 3 or 4 equal portions, depending on how many colors you would like and color each piece by kneading the gel color into the dough.
- Using one color at a time, press the dough into the bone impressions in the pan.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. You don't want the cookies too soft or they will brak in the middle. Test by pushing your finger gently into the middle of the bone to test firmness.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely before decorating.
- Dip a small paintbrush into alcohol and brush it onto the cookies then dip the brush into the disco dust and spread over the alcohol on the cookie. Repeat until cookie is covered with glitter.