These were a birthday gift for a friend who raises doves. I thought a flock of dove cookies would make a perfect present.
Every time I make decorated sugar cookies I am woefully aware of my lack of skills. As I write this I am even more aware of how much I have whined about this on my blog. Seriously, I need to go to cookie boot camp.
I used the outline and flood technique or tried to. I still have issues with icing consistency. There are more serious issues to have but this one vexes me.
To get the feathers effect, I used a version of the embroidery brush technique.
Then brushed disco dust on some of the cookies to sparkle things up a bit.
When feeling insecure about my cookies, busting out the disco dust always helps. Thankfully the cookies were well received. The birthday boy loved them and was touched at my tribute to his hobby.
Sugar Cookie Recipe:
- 1 +3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (half cup) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Add sugar and beat until combined and fluffy.
- Mix in egg until just combined.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix in dry ingredients in thirds.
- Wrap dough in plastic film and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface, cut out shapes of your choice and bake for 10 -15 minutes. I try to take them out before they brown on the edges.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely before decorating.
Royal icing recipe by Bridget at Bake at 350.