Here is the third and final ice cream recipe in my Banana Macsplits from the last Mactweet's Challenge.
Following the traditional strawberry, vanilla, chocolate ice cream flavors, this is my take on strawberry. To be honest I've been a bit obsessed lately experimenting with strawberry milk powder. The one we get in Germany is, I believe, a bit healthier than what's available in the USA. It's sweetened mostly with fruit sugar.
This ice cream tasted exactly like strawberry milk. It was sweet and light and the bittersweet chocolate chips added just the right balance to the overall flavor.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 3/4 cups strawberry milk powder
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a medium saucepan bring milk, cream and strawberry milk powder to a boil stirring everything together.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar.
- Temper the yolk/sugar mixture by slowly pouring the hot liquid into the egg mixture whisking constantly.
- Scrape the tempered egg mixture back into the sauce pan and over a medium heat stir until the mixture thickens slightly coating the back of the spoon.
- Remove from heat and strain into a bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap, making sure the plastic flim touches the tip of the mixture.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or over night.
- Pour into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturers directions.
- When ice cream starts to become soft serve consistency, pour the chocolate chips into the ice cream maker while it's mixing the ice cream.
- When ice cream has solidified, scrape into a container and store in freezer for an hour our so until it hardens further before serving.