Say it out loud. Dinkel.
Dinkel. Dinkel. Dinkel. Dinkel.
Anywho, these squares were complete winners. Full of flavor, healthier than your average cookie and I love the little marzipan accessory on top. For those of you who made lots of jam this year, this recipe is a good reason to bust out a jar.
Spelt Hazelnut Blackberry Squares
From Dinkel-Nuss Würfel recipe from Weihnachts-Backen, Verlag Zabert Sandmann München 2008
- Scant 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 Cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean seeds
- 1 teaspoons lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup blackberry jam (or your favorite flavor)
- 2 ounces marzipan
- Cream together butter, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and pinch of salt.
- Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat until just combined.
- Form dough into a ball, cover in plastic wrap and chill for a half hour.
- In the meantime roll out the marzipan and cut out shapes to decorate the cookies.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Measure out two pieces of parchment paper to fit two baking sheets.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll out in a rectangle or square shape between the two pieces of parchment paper.
- Transfer to baking sheet and peel off top layer of parchment and discard.
- Using a fork or small whisk, break up the blackberry jelly until it it more liquid.
- Brush over the top of the entire dough.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Cut the dough in half stacking one side on top of the other jelly side up and trim the sides.
- Cut into strips and then cut those strips into squares.
- Decorate with marzipan cutouts.
Yield = 58 squares