I never was much interested in stollen until I moved to Germany. Now I love it. Marzipan especially is my favorite. When I saw the idea for stollen bites on the King Arthur Flour website. I knew I had to create my own version and fill them with marzipan.
I have tons of stollen recipes here in my German cookbooks. I borrowed bits and pieces from several of them but my spins were switching up the flavors and using colored marzipan.
I added chopped dried mangos, pistachios and cashews to the dough.
Marzipan Filled Mango, Pistachio, Cashew
- 3/4 cup dried mango
- Sherry for soaking mango
- 5 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 package of dry yeast
- 2&1/2 sticks butter
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- 3/4 cup chopped cashews
- 3/4 cup chopped unsalted pistachios
- 9 ounces marzipan rolled into 1 into pieces
- 1/2 stick butter melted
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 4 & 1/2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- Soak the mangos in sherry for about 2 hours.
- Mix together flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
- Melt butter, add milk and pour into dry mixture.
- Knead until a shiny dough forms. Cover with a dishtowel and leave for 30 minutes.
- Drain mango.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface.
- Evenly sprinkle the mango, pistachios and cashews over the dough, fold and knead the mango and nuts in.
- Let rise 15 minutes.
- Pull off one small ball of dough at a time and make a well with your finger, put marzipan piece in and fold the dough over covering it completely. The idea is to put the marzipan in the middle of the dough.
- I molded the balls of dough into mini stollen oval shapes, like little loaves of bread.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Let them sit for another 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter and brush the stollen bites before putting them into the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until they turn slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a a wire rack.
- Mix together the powdered sugar and vanilla sugar.
- Melt the butter.
- Brush the tops and sides of each stollen bite with butter and then dip into the sugar mix.
Makes about 22 pieces.