As I held it in my hand, I remembered all our beautiful trips to Egypt and one especially cranky camel I rode into the Sinai desert.
I had leftover gingerbread dough from the Christmas Cookie Word Jumble so I cut out the camels and two different versions of the palm trees I had.
I used the outline and flood method to ice the cookies.
For the saddles/blankets. I rolled out some leftover homemade marshmallow fondant and cut a saddle shape to fit the camel. Then using fondant stamps, I cut patterns into the fondant and then painted the accents with different color hologram dust.
The harnesses and tassels were also made out of fondant.
Gingerbread Camels & Palm Trees
For the Gingerbread Roll out Cookies
Adapted from a Woman's Day recipe for Gingerfolks I tore out of a 20 year old issue of the magazine I have been schlepping around since. I doubled the spices to make them extra spicy.
- 1 stick butter
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups AP flour
- Pre heat oven to 350 degress F (200 degrees C)
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy at medium speed
- Add spices, baking powder and baking soda until combined.
- Add vanilla. Mix thoroughly.
- Add molasses and egg yolk.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and beat in flour until just blended into the dough.
- Divide into two portions and wrap in plastic cling film and refrigerate until firm.
- Take one portion out of the fridge and roll out on a flour surface.
- Cut out desired shapes with cutters.
The recipe says this makes 36 three inch or 12 six inch cookies.
I used Bridget's recipe and instructions from Bake at 350. Take some time to check out her incredible cookies and if you are inspired, head over to her other blog University of Cookie for great tutorials from incredibly talented cookie artists.
Bridget's icing recipe worked perfectly for me. I followed her instructions to the letter. My only regret is not being more precise with piping and filling in the camels. Too many gaps between the piping and the flood icing.
Recipe and excellent tutorial HERE
I am entering these into Baking Bites' Gingerbread Cookie Contest 2010. Click HERE for the contest info.