I was in a baking frenzy before my trip to NYC when I spotted this cookbook, Quick Breads: 63 Recipes for Bakers in a Hurry on my shelf. Perfect. I was in a hurry. When I opened the book, I saw that I had previously marked this recipe to try but had never made them.
The author originally intended them to be baked as sticks in a special pan but I thought they would make cute mini muffins.
These are a perfect mix of savory sweet with the added delightful crunch of pecans. What I also like about them is their year-round appeal. Perfect for fall/thanksgiving but equally appropriate for a summer picnic.
Honey Pecan Mini Corn Muffins
(From Quick Breads: 63 Recipes for Bakers in a Hurry by Beatrice A. Ojakangas)Makes about 20 mini muffins
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal (white or blue ok as well)
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees F
- Stick greased mini muffin pan in the oven.
- In a small saucepan over a low heat, stir together brown sugar, honey, and butter. Bring to a boil. Set aside. Cover and keep warm.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Using a wooden spoon mix in the milk, butter, and egg until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the pecans.
- Remove muffin pan from oven, fill each 3/4 of the way and bake for 6-8 minutes.
- After removing muffins from pan, place on a dish, drizzle syrup over them and serve.