|Our Cherry Tree in Bloom|
In anticipation of spending several months away from home, I pulled everything out of the freezer and found dough from the four ingredient cookie I like to make different versions of. The recipe is from a 37 year old German cookbook I bought in the local thrift store.
I also had a bit of leftover hazelnut marzipan so I layered it in with the jam on some of the cookies. It was a winner. Great taste combo.
Four Ingredient Thumbprint Cookies
(Source: GUTEN APPETIT, Ein Farbiges Kockbuch
Publisher: Olde Hansen 1972)
- 1 Stick of Butter
- 1/2 Cup of Sugar
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 + 1/2 Cups of Flour
- Preheat oven to 325 Degrees F
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy .
- Add egg yolk and mix thoroughly.
- Knead in the flour.
- Roll into balls, flatten out on a baking sheet and make impression in the center with the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Bake for 10 -12 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack.
- When cooled, fill a pastry bag with jam (recipe below) or whatever filling you like and pipe it into the middle.
Fine's Sour Cherry Preserves
- 1 Kilo sour cherries
- 1Kilo of jelly sugar
- Wash and pit the cherries.
- Shred cherries using a hand mixer or blender.
- Mix with sugar.
- Cook in saucepan on a med-low heat until it boils.
- Lower heat and cook four minutes more.
- Let cool and fill in glass jars.