I'm streuseling again. It's a verb I made up, like schnitzeling. Streuseling is making a streusel dessert. Schnitzeling is making schnitzel, often out of unconventional food items. Thanks for your attention.
I tried to get my hands on some fresh sour cherries this season but was not able to.
So a jarred version will have to do for this recipe. However, if you can procure fresh sour cherries, please use them instead and ignore my envy.
Sour cherries are the bomb. I love their sour sweet flavor. This recipe comes from a German cooking magazine. Sour cherry recipes are hugely popular in Germany. At our home there, a neighbor with a sour cherry tree shares the bounty with my mother-in-law. She in turn gifts me with some fresh and preserves the rest.
One of my favorite versions of streusel cake recipes are the ones where the filling is cradled between two layers of streusel.
This streusel paired with the sweet sour cherry flavor topped off with a pop of mint is divine. If you want to pile on more flavor, feel free to add some chocolate chips or your favorite variety of chopped nuts to the streusel mix.
Sour Cherry Mint Streusel Tart
Bake time: 35 minutes
Yield: 8 slicesIngredients:
- 3+3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 24oz jar of sour cherries or 1 lb of fresh, washed, de-stemmed and pitted sour cherries
- 1 cup cherry preserves or jam .
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves, plus a few whole for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 10 inch tart form.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a mixer cream together the butter. Beat about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and the vanilla extract.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Turn the mixer back on and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Slow the mixer down and add half the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Add the other half of the dry ingredients and mix only until streusel forms.
- Lightly press 2/3 of the mixture (use a kitchen scale for precise measurement) into the prepared tart form.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- If you are used pitted sour cherries from a jar, drain the cherries - reserve the juice for later use if you like. Place the drained cherries in a bowl. Heat up the cherry jam until warm and mix with the cherries.
- If you are using fresh cherries mix the pitted cherries with the jam.
- Fill the tart with the sour cherry mixture.
- Mix the chopped mint leaves with the remaining 1/3 of the streusel.
- Sprinkle the mint streusel over the top of the cherries.
- Replace the pan in the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let cool. Garnish with additional mint leaves.
- Cut and serve.
Like Sour Cherries? Try these recipes:
Sour Cherry Layer torte with Poppy Seed Cream/ Sour Cherry Cake with Olive Oil Streusel / Sour Cherry Peanut Blondies / Sour Cherry Chocolate Hazelnut Torte