This started out as a radish tart recipe originally found in a magazine but I could not find the radish variety I wanted to use for the tart (watermelon). Then I saw these gawgeous golden beets in the market and made up my own recipe.
The original recipe called for store bought pie crust. I made my own whole wheat version. I added feta and tarragon to the egg-based filling.
Before placing the beets in the tart shell I painted the slices with olive oil and roasted them to bring out their flavor.
I still have to get to that radish tart sometime this summer but in the meantime, I could use this recipe as a base and switch up the beets and herbs for other varieties.
Golden Beet Feta Tarragon Tart
in a Whole Wheat Crust
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Chill Time: 30 minutes
Chill Time: 30 minutes
Bake/Roast time: 1 hour total
Yield: 15 piecesIngredients:
- 2+1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter (1 +1/2 sticks) cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 golden beets
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Make the crust:
- Grease and flour a 8 "x 12" tart pan (preferably one with a removable bottom)
- In a food processor pulse the whole wheat flour and the salt until combined.
- Add the cold butter pieces and pulse until the mixture has crumbs the size of peas.
- Slowly stream in the water while pulsing. Stop mixing right when the dough has formed.
- Remove the dough from the food processor, pat into a ball, wrap with plastic cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out the crust on a lightly floured surface. Press into the prepared pan.
- Use a fork to poke holes in the bottom of the crust.
Roast the beets:
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil
- Trim and peel the beets and rinse them. Slice the beets into thin rounds.
- Place the beets on the baking sheets and brush with olive oil.
- Roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, place them in the bottom of the tart shell.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, feta and tarragon.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the beets.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 45 minutes until the middle is solid (if you insert a knife, it should come out clean.)