My love affair with the Milky Way bar goes back to my early childhood. Frozen or melted in my hot little hand, they were always my chocolate bar of choice.
Right up front I have to admit I did not make this recipe with Milky Way bars. They don't exist here in Germany under that name. Since I am sharing, I will also admit that after 10 years here I still struggle with the language but the sad truth is minus 30 seconds after I moved here I figured out the Milky Way bar equivalent was a Mars bar.
Neither language or geography can stand between me and my Milky Way fix.
I eventually did find Milky Way bars here in Germany but, gasp! they contained NO caramel. Oh the outrage!
Recently I stocked up on Mars candy in anticipation of baking them into some sort of bars and started looking around for ideas. First stop was the Milky Way website and I was disappointed. The recipes there all basically all start with, take a brownie mix this and store bought cookie dough that.
Not the inspiration I was looking for.
Then I came upon this wonderful recipe over at Ezra Poundcake which was perfect and the idea clicked. I used her basic recipe and instructions and switched up the flavors.
Last December's trip to Hamburg yielded this jar of pistachio cream and my pantry coughed up some macadamias and pistachio syrup so I was all set.
I am warning you in advance to put your big pants on before eating one of these. They are super sweet and definitely addictive. I dare you to stop at one.
Milky Way Macadamia Pistachio Cream Bars
For the crust:
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line a 9X11 pan with parchment paper leaving overhang on the sides. The original recipe recommends using foil and greasing it. I used a non stick casserole dish so I went with parchment.
- Beat butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add extracts and combine.
- Mix in nuts by hand.
- Spread crust mixture into the pan. I used a fondant smoother to even it out.
- Bake until golden brown about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
For the filling:
- 8-10 Milky Way or Mars bars (I used a combination of sizes) sliced lengthwise (about 3 pieces per bar)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pistachio syrup
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Melt butter in microwave.
- Add eggs, sugar, syrup and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Cover the cooled crust evenly with the sliced candy bars .
- Pour egg mixture over the top and pop back in the oven for about 20 minutes or until it becomes a bit more solid.
- Remove from oven and cool thoroughly.
For the topping:
- 1 jar (about 1 cup) of pistachio cream*
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts chopped
- 4 ounces milk chocolate melted
- Using a pastry knife, spread the pistachio cream over the top.
- Melt chocolate, pour into a pastry bag with a number 4 tip or just snip the corner to form a small hole.
- Drizzle the chocolate on top and scatter the nuts over it.
- Refrigerate for about one hour.
- Slice into squares and serve.
- Keep in fridge between servings.