Instead of grilling or boiling hot dogs, Another way to serve these at your summer party is to bake them into a savory cake, a relish mustard flavored savory cake to be specific. This crazy fun recipe is a good fit for any July 4th picnic table is super easy to make. It's also a fun dish to bring to a potluck barbecue.
The batter comes together in minutes, Hot dogs are layered in a baking dish with the batter and topped with pan-fried ketchup spiked sweet onions before baking.
I used beef hot dogs but you can easily substitute chicken, turkey or even vegetarian hot dogs to suit other diets.
Serve the cake with extra spicy mustard, relish, and ketchup and have a wonderful holiday if you are celebrating here in the United States.
Cook/Bake Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: 8 slices
- 2 tablespoons plus 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 sweet onions, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.6 oz vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 1 cup sweet relish
- 8 hot dogs.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet.
- Add the onions and cook stirring until they start to brown.
- Add the ketchup and stir to coat.
- Season with salt an pepper, let cook until the onions have completely softened.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9" x 5" x 2+1/2" deep loaf pan.
- In a separate bowl. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Place the vegetable oil, eggs, and mustard in a mixer and beat to combine.
- Beat in the relish.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Place three hot dog pieces lengthwise into the pan up against one side. Cut three pieces out of another hot dog and extend each hot dog row.
- Spread half the mixture to cover the hot dogs. Repeat layering with the remaining hot dogs and then cover the second layer of hot dogs with the last half of the batter.
- You may have one small piece of hot dog left. Don't date me. Just feed it to your pet
- Spread the ketchup onions over the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 10 minutes before removing the cake from pan and transferring to a serving platter.
- Cut and serve.
Some other great recipe suggestions for this holiday celebration:
|Red White & Blue Hummus|
|Radish Scallion Fritters with Yogurt Dip|
|Everything Fried Pickles with Horseradish Sauce|
|Caprese in Crunchy Fried Potato Jackets|