Has anyone else been taking advantage of the gorgeous affordable strawberries currently in the market? I have never seen the prices so affordable. And their color makes me so happy.
I was inspired to make this great recipe for strawberry lemon almond I found in a German cooking magazine. I tweaked it slightly, added a few ingredients and was delighted with the result.
This is the most perfect breakfast, brunch bread I have ever made. This not too sweet bread is dense and substantial and the sweet strawberry filling carried the tang of lemon as well as an almond crunch. One slice is a filling snack.
The almonds are caramelized with honey, strawberries, cream and lemon zest are then stirred in. The mixture is spread on the divided dough, rolled, up twisted and baked. It sounds way more complicated than it is.
This strawberry bread can be pre-made, sliced and frozen. The recipe creates a large loaf, perfect for guests for a breakfast or brunch. I highly recommend taking this recipe for a spin this weekend.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Rise Time: 1 hour
Bake Time: 30 minutesIngredients:
Yield: 1 large loaf/14 slices
Yield: 1 large loaf/14 slices
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- 2 packages of active dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup white granulated sugar divided in half.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups hulled and chopped fresh Strawberries
- 1 cup chopped raw almonds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar.
- Place the milk, yeast, salt, 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks, extracts, and butter in your mixer and combine using the dough hook attachment.
- Add 4 cups of the flour and knead into a soft dough.
- Cover the bowl with a dishcloth and stow in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Wash and hull the strawberries and chop them into pieces.
- Warm the honey in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the almonds and toss to coat. Cook, stirring frequently until the almonds caramelize.
- Stir in the tablespoon of flour, lemon juice, heavy cream, and the strawberries. Stir until the extra liquid evaporates.
- Stir in the lemon zest. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Halve the dough.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll each piece out into 12x 16 rectangle.
- Spread the strawberry filling on each half of the dough.
- Starting with the long sides, roll each piece up into a cylinder.
- Then twist the two rolls together into one piece and place on the parchment paper.
- Let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush the bread with the remaining 2 tablespoons of heavy cream.
- Bake the bread for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let cool completely before sprinkling with powdered sugar.
- Slice and serve.
Other sweet bread recipes to try:
|Basil Marzipan Sweet Braid Bread|
|Whole Wheat Expresso Date Bread|
|Cinnamon Apple Twist Bread|
|No-Rise Nutty Fig Whole Wheat Bread|