Sometimes recipes inspiration comes from the strangest places. I've basically turned my favorite bagel order into a schnitzel dish. I grew up in a weekend bagel family. Ever since I can remember an everything bagel smeared with scallion cream cheese was my jam.
Over the years, I've tried to break up with this combination. I've cheated on Everything with cinnamon raisin, garlic and onion bagels. But I always come back to Everything. Everything is my everything.
On the other hand, I'm pretty fickle with my schnitzel. I'm a serial schnitzel experimenter and will make anything but the traditional version. In this space alone I've posted celery root and beet schnitzel as well as schnitzel crusted with cashews, pretzels, cornflakes and potato chips.
This chicken version is one of my favorite combinations to date. I added a homemade Everything mixture to the breadcrumb coating. The Everything recipe is posted below.
The accompanying sauce is thick and creamy with lots of scallion flavor and the pairing with the Everything schnitzel is perfection.
Everything Chicken Schnitzel with
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servingsIngredients:
- 4 chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup everything seasoning (recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 brick (4oz.) cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, plus a few tablespoons for garnish if desired.
- Wash the chicken breasts and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Pound the chicken breasts until very thin. You can cut them in half to make them easier to work with. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
- Place three wide and deep plates on your work surface.
- On the first plate, spread out the all-purpose flour. In a small separate bowl, beat the egg and pour onto the second plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the breadcrumbs and everything seasoning. Spread the mixture out on the third plate.
- Working with one chicken breast at a time, dredge the breast on both sides in the all-purpose flour, then coat both sides with the egg and lastly, coat the breast on both sides with the everything breadcrumbs. Repeat with the other chicken breasts.
- Place the canola oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the coated chicken breasts to the pan and cook on both sides until the chicken has cooked through and the crust is crunchy golden brown.
- Transfer to a serving platter, cover with aluminum foil and stow in a warm place.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the scallions and cook, stirring until they soften.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Whisk the cream cheese into the pan until melted.
- Season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, pour over the schnitzel or transfer to a small pitcher to serve on the side.
- Garnish the schnitzel with chopped scallions if desired and serve.
- 6 tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- 6 tablespoons Sesame seeds (white or black or a mix of both)
- 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 6 tablespoons garlic flakes
- 6 tablespoons onion flakes
- 1+1/2 tablespoons large grain salt