Hold on to your lettuce leaves because this is an exceptionally luscious and rich winter inspired soup. This dish is thick, hearty and a vegetarian meal in a bowl.
Leeks and sweet onions are fried in butter, then simmered in a creamy vegetable broth. As a final step, pieces of mellow brie cheese are melted into the soup before serving.
This soup is obviously not low calorie. You can cut the calorie and fat content a bit by substituting low-fat or nonfat versions for the whole milk. Swap out the triple cream version of the brie for regular brie to dampen down the fat content.
Brie and leek flavor make a great soup idea for special occasion dinners or just if you want to make something special for dinner.
Brie Leek Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4Ingredients:
- 7 ounces triple cream Brie cheese
- 1 lb of fresh leeks
- 1 medium-sized sweet onion
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- Cut the rind off of the brie and discard. Cut the brie into small pieces. Set aside.
- Carefully wash the leeks and pat dry. Clean the leeks thoroughly, Be aware that dirt accumulates in the stem. Cut the leeks into thin rings. Set a few aside for garnish, if desired.
- Peel and dice the sweet onion.
- Place the unsalted butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
- When the butter has melted, add the onions and the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally
- until they are soft and transparent.
- Season the leeks and onions with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the flour over the leeks and onions and sauté until the flour is absorbed.
- Add the vegetable broth and the milk to the pan. Stir to combine everything. Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and add the cheese.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes more over a low heat, stirring occasionally until the cheese has thoroughly melted into the soup.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Transfer to a large soup terrine or divide the soup into 4 bowls.
- Garnish with extra fresh leek rings on top and serve immediately.
Try these other winter soups:
|Cream Cheese, Buttermilk Leek Soup/ Roasted Brussel Sprouts Garlic Cream Soup|
|Parsley Root Cream Soup with Gouda Croutons/Celery Root Soup w/Horseradish & Bacon|
|Potato Turmeric Soup w/Fresh Rosemary/Mustard Potato Soup|