This is what happens when you have two bottles of unopened liquid smoke sitting in your cabinet for what seems like forever. I have no idea how theose two little bottles got there. I may or may not have bought them on a whim or perhaps I was gifted them at an event.
All I know is, I was tired of looking at them and had to think up a way to get rid of them. At first thought, these muffins seemed a bit of a desperate effort to do so. Upon tasting them, I proclaimed myself a pantry cleaning genius.
These muffins are sweet with a slightly smoky flavor. Adjust the amount of smoke flavor to your liking. I created a brown sugar smoke-flavored topping to add some extra oomph but you can skip the topping entirely.
In 30 minutes you have a sexy flavored addition to your brunch or breakfast table. Get up a half hour before your weekend guests and make these while they are sleeping. Let guests wake to the delicious aroma of the muffins baking. You will win the hostess of the year award.
Bake time: 15 minutes
Yield: 1 dozen.Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, divided
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease and flour a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Place the 1/3 cup brown sugar in a small separate bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and, salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, olive oil, egg, brown sugar, vanilla and remaining teaspoon of liquid smoke.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until the batter comes together. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 cups in the prepared muffin tin.
- Sprinkle the smoked sugar on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack, to cool. Lovely if served slightly warm.
Try these other delicious muffin recipes:
|Whole Wheat Strawberry Basil Muffins / Amy Vanderbilt's Sour Cream Muffins|
|Bran Flax Muffins/Inside-Out Pumpkin Muffins|