Here's a simple but sexy way to dress up ordinary potatoes. The entire dish takes under an hour to make.
Whole coriander seeds are crushed and tossed in olive oil with peeled potato pieces. Add some salt and pepper, roast the potatoes and done. I tossed the finished potatoes with fresh cilantro for extra flavor and color but that step is optional.
I realize not everyone has coriander seeds hanging out in their pantry. They can be expensive. I used McCormick organic ones at $7 a jar. Walmart has a non-organic version for a much more reasonable price.
The flavor on these is out of this world. The coriander seeds have a sweet citrus flavor. Roasting them with the potatoes brings out the flavor even more. I love when simple has a complex taste.
This is a great side for any poultry or meat dish. You can also serve it with a large salad for a lighter meal.
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servingsIngredients:
- 2 lbs potatoes - any type
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 heaping teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, loosely packed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces.
- Place the pieces in a large bowl.
- Use a mortar or a kitchen mallet to roughly crush the coriander seeds
- Add the olive oil and coriander seeds and toss to coat.
- Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and toss again.
- spread the coated potatoes out on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place in oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, transfer to a bowl or serving platter. Toss with the fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
Try these other delicious potato recipes:
|Cinnamon Rosemary Roasted Potatoes|
German Potato Pancakes with Radish Leaf Pesto
Warm Sour Potatoes with Bacon