This dish will surely brighten up your winter table. The recipe is hearty enough to keep you warm and sports bright and light flavors.
There is so much goodness in this meal, I don't know where to start. For all its complicated flavor, the recipe itself is deceivingly simple to make and comes together in less than an hour.
This recipe is great for a celebratory or Sunday family dinner or any celebration that calls for something extra special on the dining table.
Feel free to substitute boneless pork for the chicken. You can also cut calories by using a light version of the heavy cream or Half and Half.
Because. January and those New Year's resolutions.
Black Pepper Cream Chicken
with Lemon Butter Noodles
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: Serves 4Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb egg noodles (1 package)
- Salt for boiling the noodles
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 + 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream (or a lighter version)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water.
- 1 organic lemon
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil over medium heat. When the water is boiling, add the egg noodles. Cook until soft but not mushy. Remove from heat and drain the water.
- Peel the sweet onion and cut into small pieces.
- Rinse the boneless chicken breasts, pat dry and cut into strips. Place in a bowl and season with salt. Toss to coat.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet. Add the salted chicken breasts and cook until brown.
- Add the sweet onion to the pan and cook until the onions become transparent.
- Remove the chicken and onions from the pan. Transfer the pieces to a warm plate. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and stow in a warm place.
- Add the white wine to the skillet and deglaze the pan.
- Add the cream, vegetable broth, and teaspoons of freshly ground pepper to the pan. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and let cook for about 3 minutes. Season with Kosher salt.
- In a small separate bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and the cold water. Stir the dissolved cornstarch into the pan.
- Retrieve the chicken and onion pieces from their warm place. Discard the aluminum foil and add the chicken and onions to the pan. Stir to coat.
- Cook the chicken for another 5 minutes or so. Season with salt, if desired.
- Wash the organic lemon in hot water. Zest and juice the lemon.
- In a separate medium-sized skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Add 2 tablespoon of the freshly squeezed lemon juice to the butter and stir to combine.
- Add the cooked egg noodles to the skillet and toss to combine. Add 3/4 of the fresh lemon zest and toss again
- Transfer the lemon egg noodles to a serving platter. Arrange the cooked chicken pieces on top of the egg noodles, then pour the pepper sauce over everything.
- Garnish with the remaining lemon zest, freshly ground black pepper and serve.
Try these other delicious chicken with fruit and citrus recipes:
|Lemon Roast Chicken Over a Bed of Marjoram Semmelknödel / Chicken in Apricot Thyme Cream Sauce|
|Chicken Breast with Ginger Orange Parsnips / Toasted Almond Chicken Roulade in Orange Cream Sauce|