I hope all of you who celebrated had a lovely and delicious Thanksgiving in the USA yesterday. Now comes the leftover parade. When you are done having the same Thanksgiving meal several times over as leftovers, I have a recipe idea for the rest.
Last year I created a Thanksgiving Leftovers Flammkuchen recipe. to use up whatever was left from Thanksgiving dinner. This year, I'm presenting this tasty turkey cranberry gulasch for the same purpose.
The recipe calls for a few cups of chopped turkey meat and some cranberry sauce. Serve over leftover mashed potatoes and you have a recipe that is a perfect post-holiday fridge cleaner.
The recipe starts with seasoning onions and garlic with sweet paprika powder then layering in the cranberry sauce and turkey pieces. Ad some stock and simmer for at least 30 minutes. The result is a fragrant sweet and spicy gulasch encompassing the flavors of a Thanksgiving past.
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servingsIngredients:
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup cranberry sauce
- 2 cups cooked turkey meat cut into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken or turkey stock
- bay leaf
- Peel the onions and chop them into small pieces.
- Peel the garlic cloves and cut them into small pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the garlic to the pan. Cook for 1 minutes.
- Add the onions and stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions become transparent.
- Add the paprika and the sugar to the onions.
- Add the cranberry sauce.
- Add the turkey pieces and stir to coat.
- Season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Add the water and the bay leaf.
- Bring everything to a boil. Turn the heat down and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add more water if the mixture loses too much liquid.
- Season again with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat, discard the bay leaf and serve.
Try this other Thanksgiving leftovers recipe:
|Thanksgiving Leftovers Flammkuchen|