Here's a recipe idea for your upcoming Labor Day festivities. I assume you all in the USA are having Labor Day festivities. If not, just make these for your family or next get together. You will need a spiralizer.
Ever since I made that Garlic Chicken Wrapped in Potato Jackets, I've been wanting to wrap some other food item. Didn't think this idea would happen so soon but here we are.
What's not to love about Caprese? When done right and by right I mean with good quality tomatoes, mozzarella, olive oil and fresh basil, you have a perfect meal. Summer's bounty of gorgeous fresh tomatoes are made for this dish.
Why did I feel I needed to take the perfect dish that is Caprese a step further? Because I'm the Mad Hausfrau. That's why.
I hauled out the spiralizer, peeled some potatoes, heated up some oil and I was in business.
Well, almost in business.
It was no easy task to get the spiralized potatoes wrapped around the caprese. I almost gave up several times. However, after a few practice runs, I finally was able to make it work. FYI: the egg shaped tomatoes are easier to wrap than the round ones.
The other trick to wrapping is to tuck, tuck, tuck like a drag queen. Those potato strand ends, especially when you are using more than one strand to wrap, must be secured or the entire thing will unravel while you are trying to fry it. It's just sad when that happens. And creates a mess in the pan.
I made two versions. The appetizer sized variety I brought to a dinner party and received great reviews. These reheat well in the microwave, btw.
The alternate version used bigger tomatoes and large slices of mozzarella for a meal sized portion. Paired with a simple green salad, this makes a perfect summer meal.
I am sure this will not be the last wrapped recipe in this space. My brain is now buzzing with some other possibilities.
Caprese in Crunchy Fried Potato Jackets
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Fry time: 20 minutes
Yield: 24 appetizer bites or 8 large sized portions
For the appetizer size version:
- 2 large long shaped potatoes
- 1 dozen small grape or cherry tomatoes.
- 1 dozen small mozzarella balls or pearls
- olive oil
- 1 dozen basil leaves
For the meal sized version:
- 3 large long shaped potatoes
- 4 plum tomatoes.
- 4 slices mozzarella balls or pearls
- 8 basil leaves, plus some extra leaves for garnish.
- olive oil
- Peel the potatoes and use a spiralizer to cut them into thin ribbons.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- For the small tomatoes, place one basil leaf on top of the cut side. for the large tomatoes use 2 basil leaves.
- Place the appropriate sized mozzarella on top of the basil and wrap the caprese as tight as you can with a strand of potato without breaking it.
- Use a toothpick to tuck the end in, Make sure it is well secured.
- Heat a layer of olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Place the potato wrapped caprese in the skillet and fry on both sides until golden. Use tongs to gently turn the bundles.
- Transfer the fried Caprese to a serving platter, garnish with extra basil and serve.
Looking for more tomato and cheese appetizer recipes? Try these: