Ok, so I am not done with rhubarb yet. Don't judge. It seems as long as it's in the market, I will find uses for it.
The combination of the tangy rhubarb and sweet almond marzipan in this tart is perfect. The crust contains almond flour and caramelized blanched almond slivers make up the topping.
I made crust, the filling and topping can all be made ahead of time. The day I was serving the tart, it took 10 minutes to throw together so I all had to do was bake it.
I used store bought marzipan brought back from Germany. I could easily be cast on an episode of Marzipan Hoarders. However, in the past I have made my own. It's easy to do and I've included a homemade marzipan recipe below.
Chill Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 tart slicesIngredients:
For the crust:
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
For the filling:
- 1 lb fresh rhubarb
- 3+1/2 oz marzipan (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup strawberry or any red berry jam
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup blanched almond sticks
Make the crust:
Make the crust:
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, almond meal and all-purpose flour.
- Cut the butter into pieces and add to the dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon or you hands to mix together thoroughly.
- Form into a disk then wrap the crust in plastic cling film and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
Make the filling:
- Wash and trim the rhubarb. Make sure you discard the leaves as they can be poisonous.
- Cut the rhubarb into small pieces.
- Cut the marzipan into small pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 10 inch tart pan.
- Remove the prepared crust from the refrigerator and roll it out into a circle.
- Press it into the prepared pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix the rhubarb and the marzipan together with the jam.
- Transfer the jam mixture to the tart pan. Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes.
Make the topping:
- Place the powdered sugar and the almond sticks in a small skillet and cook until the almonds have caramelized. Remove from heat and transfer the almonds to a clean cutting board.
- Scatter the caramelized almonds evenly over the top.
- Let the tart cool completely before transferring to a serving plate.
- Cut and serve.
Homemade Marzipan Recipe
- 1+1/2 cups almond flour
- 1+1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 1 large egg white
- Place the almond flour and powdered sugar in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the extract and the egg white. Process on high until the marzipan forms.
- If the marzipan is too sticky to hold a shape, add more powdered sugar, a tablespoon at a time until you get the right consistency.
- If you are not using the marzipan right away, wrap it tightly in plastic cling film. Otherwise, it will dry out pretty quickly.