These pretty veggie fritters are a great addition to any summer table. Lunch, brunch or dinner, this scallion and radish combination brings the crunch and flavor. Serve with a green side salad and you have a lovely light, yet satisfying meal.
The flexible part here is the yogurt dip. I used reduced fat Greek yogurt as a base. In flavoring it, I kept it relatively simple by adding lemons zest, juice, garlic powder and kosher salt and pepper.
You can go nuts instead. Use curry powder, paprika, ground sumac, chili pepper or any of your favorite spices. Make it your own.
I wrote the recipe for an entree version, however, if you form smaller patties (2 for every one in the recipe), these also make a great appetizer.
Radish Scallion Fritters with Yogurt Dip
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 frittersIngredients:
- 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup plus 4 tablespoons greek low fat yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white granulated sugar
- 1 lb. radishes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 scallions
- 4 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Wash the lemon and pat dry. Zest the lemon, cut in half and squeeze out a tablespoon of juice.
- Mix the zest and the lemon juice with the 1/2 cup of yogurt. Stir in the sugar and garlic powder. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- Wash, dry and trim the radishes. Slice into rounds and chop the rounds into small pieces. Place in a bowl and toss with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Wash, dry and trim the scallions. Cut into rings. Reserve 2 tablespoons for garnish.
- Drain the radishes and pat dry.
- Mix the radishes with the, chopped scallions, breadcrumbs and cornstarch.
- Whisk together the eggs with the remaining 4 tablespoons of yogurt. Add to the radish mixture and stir until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Use your hands to form fritters out of the mixture.
- Heat the oil in large skillet. Place a layer of paper towels by the stove.
- Fry the fritters on both sides in the hot oil about 2-3 minutes until they turn golden brown.
- Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain. Pat with a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Transfer the fritters to a platter and serve with the chilled yogurt dip.